With Thursday's NBA trade deadline (3 p.m.) now just days away, it's time to dive into what's in store for the week to come.
This post will be broken up into two sections.
The top section will be a tracker listing out the prominent reports that impact the Sixers. I will keep that section publicly available, and will continue to update it throughout the week as more reports come in.
The second section will detail some of the considerations to keep in mind in the days leading up to the deadline. This will include everything from listing which draft picks the Sixers have available to trade, the trade exception that they can use, the amount of cash they can use to help facilitate a deal, details on salary matching rules, how the hard cap impacts what the Sixers can do, and how the luxury tax, and repeater tax, could impact what they are willing to do.
This post is mostly going to be informational in nature. I'll have a follow-up column with more of my own thoughts on what the Sixers could, and should, do.
Players the Sixers are reportedly interested in
Naz Reid (6'9" 23-year-old center, Minnesota)
- Tim MacMahon mentioned the Sixers as "a team with significance" in the potential Naz Reid trade talks. [Feb 3rd]
- Jake Fischer added that some teams are scared off from what Reid is looking for in his next contract, but that the Sixers should view him as a rental. [Feb 3rd]
- Stein says that he doesn't think Reid is likely to be moved.
- Note: Reid makes $1.93 million this season and will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. [Feb 6th]
Jarred Vanderbilt (6'9" 23-year-old forward/center, Utah)
- Jake Fischer reports that Jarred Vanderbilt is a "leading target" in the Sixers' search for a big man to backup Embiid. [Feb 4th]
- Tony Jones mentions that Vanderbilt is the Jazz "most likely to be moved" prior to the deadline. Jones says the Jazz have an offer on the table for multiple second-round picks. Most believe it will take at least a first for Ainge to listen. [Feb 6th]
- Keith Pompey reports that multiple sources insist that Vanderbilt is "a leading target" for the Sixers. [Feb 8th]
- Note: Vanderbilt makes $4.374 million this year, and has a $4.64 million contact next season, of which $300k is guaranteed.
- NOTE: Vanderbilt has been traded to the Lakers. [Feb 8th]
- James Edwards reports that the Sixers have called the Pistons about Nerlens Noel. [Feb 5th]
- Keith Pompey reports that the Pistons could buy Noel out of his contract if he's not traded. [Feb 5th]
- Marc Stein reports that "the Piston most likely to be traded this week" is Nerlens Noel, and that the Sixers continue to register interest. [Feb 8th]
- Note: Noel makes $9.24 million this year, and has a $9.68 million team option for next season, with a deadline of June 29th for the team to decide on the option.
Sixers players drawing interest...
- Sacramento has interest in Matisse Thybulle, per Marc Stein. [Jan 30th]
- Stein also says that the Hawks are interested. [Feb 4th]
- So is Golden State, according to Keith Pompey. [Feb 1st]
- Kevin O'Connor reports that "the Sixers (are) working on deals to upgrade from Matisse Thybulle". [Feb 5th]
A Furkan trade request
- Furkan Korkmaz has requested a trade, according to Keith Pompey. [Feb 6th]
I'll continue updating this section as more reports come in.